Monday 5 May 2014

Can you feel it?

Hello

Have you ever had that feeling?  I bet you have!  It's about the best feeling in the world.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/CycleOfOurLives

A huge surge of adrenalin combined with a heady mix of endorphins. you can feel your body truly come alive, powered by a million volts of super human strength.  Emotions race, you feel so elated you could fly and breakdown in tears all at the same time, it's an incredible feeling, special and amazing.  If you could sell it as a drug I'm sure it would be the most addictive, if you could bottle it, it would be priceless.  So what is it?

It's been a few weeks since my last post, a two week holiday to China has been a fantastic break from the all consuming training and fund-raising, but I'm glad to get back in to the groove as the timer has now clicked below 100 days until the Land's End to John O'Groats ("LEJOG") challenge (in fact, it now stands at 82 days!).  Whilst in China I had plenty of time to think about LEJOG, visualising crossing the finish line was one of the better thoughts to cross my mind, saddle sore, aching legs, back, tiredness were some of the others. I'm quite sure that when I cross the line those feelings will pulse through me in an uncontrollable burst of relief and elation.

Cycling 950 miles is (thankfully) not the only way to experience those feelings, but they are not easy to come by, getting married, winning the league, getting recognised for all those years of toil and effort, the birth of a baby son or daughter, landing a dream house, they're all on the list too.  I must admit, I've had more than my fair share of those feelings so I've been incredibly lucky

How would we feel if the money we raised help make a breakthrough in the fight against multiple sclerosis or cystic fibrosis?  I'm not going to shout about potential cures but there is plenty going on in both fields that gives us much hope for the future, MS with simvastatin and MS-Smart and CF Trust's Research Strategy launched a year ago.  The money we raise genuinely could make the difference.

We may be one step removed from these diseases, we will not benefit personally from supporting these charities and finding a cure, sadly it's too late to save the people close to me.  But just imagine being told that the drug you need to stop the progression of your illness, to even cure you, is now available to you.  I can't imagine that.  The strength of feeling would be so overwhelming, so incredible, and I'm glad we can play our part in that, because one day I'm certain it will happen, I hope that day comes soon.

Training Update
I realise I haven't done much in the way of training updates, so I thought I'd fill you in.  This last week I headed to the gym three times for spinning sessions, if you've not come across spinning it's a group bike exercise to music, high intensity interval training that combines resistance and aerobic training that really pushes you, ideal for LEJOG prep.

On top of three gym sessions I headed out for a few rides this weekend, a 40 mile ride around the New Forest with my LEJOG riding buddy (Brendon) and his brother (Gareth) and a 50 mile ride which took me nearly 3.5 hours!  On both rides I felt stronger and faster, fitter and better, the training is really starting to pay off, and just as well - next weekend is the first of my 100+ mile training rides - the rather ominously named Jurassic Beast!  Here's the Strave update of my 50 mile ride:

I'll be in tough again later this week to update you all on fund raising activities, it's been a bisy time and recently we've raised a great deal of money which has been superb, there's still a long way to go though!

Thanks for reading & happy cycling

Mike

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/CycleOfOurLives

No comments:

Post a Comment